A favorite at large family gatherings. Fun to eat and think about the name of this dish! The small round noodles covered in a glaze type dressing with citrus fruit . . . what’s not to like?
Combine in a saucepan:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup pineapple juice (use drained juice from cans)
- 2 beaten eggs
Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Add:
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Cool to room temperature. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add:
- 1 pkg (16 oz) Acini de Pepe pasta
Cook 5-7 minutes or according to pasta directions.
Drain, rinse, cool. Combine pasta with previously cooked sauce and refrigerate. Add:
- 3 11oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 20 oz cans pineapple, combination of crushed & tidbits as desired
- 1 9oz container of whipped topping
Mix saucy pasta with fruit and whipped topping. This is especially good if served after refrigeration of several of hours if you can wait that long.
Variations could include adding some of the following ingredients : maraschino cherries, coconut, mini marshmallows, chopped nuts. Also, you could use real whipped cream instead of non-dairy whipped topping.