We had a friend come over to show us how to make authentic hummus, and how do you eat hummus? pita chips. Since I didn’t buy any at the store, I had to make them. They were a great success, our Egyptian friend loved them, and I am sorry to say, we ate them all before I could get a final picture.
Whole Wheat Pita Bread
3 c whole wheat flour
1 T yeast
1 1/4 c warm water
1/2 t salt (optional)
1. Mix yeast and warm water. Add all flour and salt. Knead for a few mins till smooth (don’t over knead) adding flour as needed to keep from being too sticky.
2. Roll into log shape.
3. Cut Roll into 10 pieces.
4. Roll each into a ball, then roll out into 5-6 inch circles with a rolling pin. Make sure to flour your surface before rolling or they might stick.
5. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Let your circles rest for 30 mins.
6. If you have a metal cooling rack. Place a few pitas on it, then put it in the oven on bottom rack (You can also place it directly on lowest oven rack, or on a preheated baking stone). Bake for 5 mins.
7. Promptly take out pitas and put them in a ziploc bag, while hot, and seal. This keeps the steam in and keeps them from getting hard. Continue baking the rest of your pitas and enjoy.