This is probably THE MOST favorite of ALL the cookies I’ve ever made for my family.
Originally from Scandinavia but made every Christmas in our home.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
Add and mix:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Add and beat until well mixed:
- 1 3/4 cups flour (can try adding some whole wheat, not more than half)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Divide dough into fourths. Form each into a 12 inch roll. Place two rolls 4-5 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each roll to about 3 inches wide. Repeat for other two rolls. (Hint: I’ll flatten the roll with my fingers or a toy rolling pin.)
- Milk on flattened rolls
Sprinkle generously with:
- Slivered Almonds.
Bake at 325F for 10-14 minutes until edges start to turn brown. When the cookies are still warm, cut 1 inch strips on the diagonal. Cool and Frost. Makes about 48.
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- milk – enough to make the frosting ‘drizzle’ on the cookie